News & Events

The Revd. Musa Daba, Priest-in-Charge at St. Mark's Church, extends a warm welcome to all. Click "News & Bulletins" for details.
......................


St. Mark's Church Guild meets on the first Sunday of each month at 9.15 a.m. in the Parish Hall. New members always welcome.
........................

Join us at 11.00 a.m. on a Wednesday for a service of Communion and Prayers
........................


Our regular Sunday services include Holy Communion and Sung Eucharist. Click "News & Bulletins" for schedules.
........................


Click to read more

.................................................

Download our Newsletter
.................................................




.................................................

The History of St. Mark’s Anglican Church, Bermuda

A fascinating and often entertaining history of St. Mark’s Church was published by the St. Mark’s Church Vestry in 1986, with a second edition published in 2010. The book was researched and written by W.S. Zuill with chapters by the late Rev. Ernest Redfern and Mr. Anthony Pettit, and a foreword by the late Rev. Terence Abernethy.

There have actually been three Bermuda churches on the St. Mark’s site, and there is some debate as to where the original structure stood. We know the first church was in operation in the 1650’s and was known as Harris Bay Church. It was situated somewhere within a 50-acre tract of land that ran from the South Shore across Town Hill to North Shore.

In 1712 the original church was badly damaged in a hurricane and the decision was made to rebuild. The second church was built on the south side of South Road within the Church’s present cemetery grounds. This structure endured for over a century but efforts to expand the church in 1846 were halted when the structure was deemed unsound. Remnants of this structure were found in a 1998 archeological dig on the site.

That same year work on the current structure began. The first service in the new church was held on Easter Sunday, April 23, 1848. However the church was not consecrated until February 13, 1849 – a day that is sometimes celebrated as the birthday of St. Mark’s.

alt


St. Mark's Church, Bermuda - the book

Click here for an “Inside Look” at this interesting and informative history of “St. Mark's Church, Bermuda” by eminent Bermuda historian William Sears Zuill.

Copies are available at a cost of $20 plus postage
(US/Can/UK/Europe - $4; Rest of World - $5)
Please contact us by email at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it to request a copy.

 

 
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow

Click images to
view in Gallery

Interesting Facts

The steeple is 102 feet high to the cross and cost £489 to build.

........................
In 1911 a chime of bells was added.
.......................
There have been three Bermuda churches on the St. Mark's site.
......................
in 1712 the original church was badly damaged and rebuilt.

.................................................